Understanding the treatment with Blu-U and Levulan
Levulan Photodynamic Therapy (PDT) is the newest technological breakthrough in the treatment of acne. TPD acne treatments involve the application of Levulan (5- aminolevulinic acid), a photosensitizing agent, which is then activated with Blu-U light. TPD treatments produce significant improvement in cases of mild to severe acne.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
People of all ages and ethnicity, with mild to severe acne, who are being monitored by a health professional.
Here is a summary of the treatment:
- Before treatment, microdermabrasion is done in order to prepare and exfoliate the skin.
- Levulan cream is then applied to the face for 45 minutes.
- The patient is then exposed to Blu-U light for 8 minutes, wearing special glasses to protect the eyes.
- The face is then rinsed and an SPF moisturizer is applied.
- The patient is asked to bring a hat and sunglasses with them, as their face will be sensitive to light and should be protected for 48 hours following the procedure. Follow-up will be done two to three days after treatment.
Dr. Zadeh recommends 3 treatments for maximum results. Alternatively, our esthetician may suggest Blu-U treatments without Levulan.